Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ruby Roo Salerno

The past few days have been a roller coaster to say the least. I feel like lately when I write it's always sad, but hey this is my blog, I'll do what I want. 

Yesterday, we lost the first (other than my dog Morgan) pack member, and second dog I ever rescued and re-homed with great friends of my family. Ruby Roo, always such a loving sweet golden retriever. She first lived with a family who was friends with my dear friend JoEll, when that family moved, Ruby stayed with me for a month or so while they moved out to Southern Cali. Then Ruby flew out to Southern Cali to live her life with her family. About a month after they moved out there I got a call from the mom saying they didn't have time for her or a big yard and they were going to take her to a shelter out there unless I wanted her. Obviously we said we would take her and they flew her out to O'Hare for us to pick her up. I went to the over sized baggage terminal and pulled out a groggy golden retriever puppy from a dog crate and she was so happy to see me. In the car on the way home she laid in my lap the whole way home. Our good family friends had just had to put down their dog Griffie so we called them on the way home and said, "hey would you guys like to meet an awesome dog?" Joe, was not totally sold on the idea because of how much he loved their first dog. We stopped by on our way home and the Salerno's opened the front door of their house and Joe sat down on the floor and Ruby got into his lap and gave him the biggest kiss and the rest is history. Ruby became a Salerno. Ruby had the most lavish lifestyle, she got to go to the Lake house with Grandpa and Grandma, she lived in a beautiful house, had everything she wanted and the best part was, I was allowed to stay in her life by being the dog sitter when they went away. She had 10 beautiful loving years with a great family-three boys, a mom and dad, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles and tons of neighbors who loved her, along with us-my family and I. Ruby was diagnosed with foot cancer and went through multiple surgeries trying to remove the cancer, unfortunately Ruby was also losing a lot of weight during this process and yesterday morning she decided to stop eating, and breathing was hard for her. The Salerno's made the tough decision to end Ruby's suffering, on of all day's, Joe's birthday. There are no words to express the sadness I, myself, feel for the fact that I will never see that beautiful red coat come flying at me when I say "RUBY ROO!!!" More than that, I can't express the sadness I feel for Joe, Kristen, Matt, Brian and Justin and all of the Salerno family. They opened their hearts to Ruby 10 years ago, trusting me when I said "this is the dog for you" and for that I am eternally grateful. Here are some pictures from Ruby's life and the people who love her. Matty, the pic of you saying goodbye to her, KILLS me. I love you guys. I miss you Ruby, I hope you are pain free at the Rainbow Bridge with Morgan and Nicky. 
Matt saying goodbye to his best friend


Ruby LOVED the pool 

Ruby and My Morgan both now at the Rainbow Bridge
Ruby as a pup, and Ruby this past Saturday

Ruby had her own chair that she ALWAYS laid in
Always taken care of 
A true golden

Ruby in her chair 
Ruby and my Sophie as pups 
Always in our hearts Ruby Looper Salerno

Ruby on Saturday at my house saying our last goodbyes

No comments:

Post a Comment