Friday, December 13, 2013

2013 in Review

Well, today is Friday the 13th and I felt it necessary to write my yearly, year in review blog. My blog stating my resolutions, and what I want for the New Year, which most likely won't happen but I state them anyways because I am putting it out there in the Universe. 

2013 sucked..ass. I went through unemployment from a job I loved (juvenile detention) all the way to losing someone I loved like a mother. It's funny because Facebook has this automated thing where it takes your entire profile for the last year and puts it into a "year in review" page and mine was so depressing. Realistically, my year was pretty shitty. Other than getting my job now, seeing my best friend get married and other tiny moments of happiness it was mainly crap. I turned 27, am still single, no kids (which I'm still OK with), living at home, and haven't found the love of my life. Anyone who knows me knows the hardest thing this year for me was losing JoEll. It happened too fast and too furious (OK I'm grieving Paul Walker too), and there are days I'm still not OK. 

My job is great, it was hard at first. Social services is all gray and I came from corrections where everything is black and white, so making the adjustment was hard. My co-workers called me the drill sergeant for awhile but I have softened up quite a bit and become more of what my job needs me to be. My clients have taught me a lot about mental illness and a lot about myself. Hell they even taught me how to cook. I've become very protective of the "mental illness" bubble and the stigma ignorant people believe to be there. The "why don't you get over it," "you don't need medications" type, I have seen first hand and experienced myself why this is shear ignorance and uneducated people who make these comments. I am so damn proud of my clients and how far they have come, all of them, those who have made it through the program and those who have been discharged for whatever reasons. I'm proud of myself for allowing them to teach me something, each of them. I'm proud of myself for realizing that mental illness and social services can't be black and white like detention was. Change is still hard for me but my job is teaching me QUICKLY to get over that, especially working in a transitional setting. 

I have become so content with my job and reconnecting with an old best friend who I can do girl time with on my days off, I am finally learning how to be alone and be OK with it. It's actually nice. I'm focusing on work and planning a girls trip. I'm looking forward to the big move to Naples, as soon as my mom retires and we sell the house. Life is falling into place, yes not as early as I wanted it to but it actually is. Maybe one day I will find the love of my life, and if I don't then I will continue being in a relationship with work.

As for my resolutions for the New Year they are as follows I will go with 14 since it's 2014, if I throw them all against the wall at least 1 will stick right? ...

1.) Stop giving a shit what ignorant people think
2.) Less worrying, more living
3.) Make a big career move
4.) Work Out 
5.) Girls Trips
6.) Learn to accept criticism without taking it personally
7.) Go to more concerts, baseball, basketball games
8.) Stop worrying about work, when I'm at home :)
9.) Let go of toxic people
10.) Go Shooting-guns ;-)
11.) Rock Climb Again
12.) Stop drinking pop for good-haha this is so hard!
13.) Go extreme trampolining
14.) Make a difference in someones life

No comments:

Post a Comment