Sunday, November 13, 2011

Quarter of a Century Old

So, I am officially 25 and for some reason (well I know the reason) it pains me to say that. Yet another year older and another year hopefully wiser. A lot has changed for me in a year and if you were to tell me a year ago that I'd be were I am right now in my life I wouldn't have believed you. 


To start, I'm single, I ended an almost 4 year relationship with someone I thought I truly loved but knew it wouldn't work because of his own inner demons and his overbearing mother. This is the hardest thing for me about being 25; when I was a little girl, my grandma will vouch for this, I had my whole life planned out, I wanted to be married by 25. Look at me now, I'm not even in a committed relationship at 25, my inner panic button starts to go off, 25 is almost 30 and 30 is when you start having a harder time with child bearing. Then there are times I think I would be just as happy not having kids and never being married, just being in a committed relationship. I've seen first hand how messy and sad divorces can be, why go through that with the divorce rates rising? Maybe I just want the big ring and the unconditional love that comes with a "marriage." I will say that I know the person I am meant to be with is out there and when the time is right I will meet them, I just have to let the pressure off myself. At least I have the hardest part out of the way.


I have gotten a job that is actually in my field that I went to college for, which in this economy is hard to do. I work as a dispatcher and am almost done with my training, about 10 more weeks. I've learned a lot about myself and about the World we live in on this job and there is still a lot more to learn on both levels. I've been able to save lives which is something I always wanted to do. And like my mom says now I can "fix people without having to date them." 


I have always been the type that likes to help, needs to be needed, I needed to have a job that was for the greater good. Working a job that I wasn't helping people wouldn't fit my personality nor would it "fill my bucket" so to speak. Ever since I was little I've always been the type with family or friends to rather be hurt than see them hurt, I tend to put my own needs and wants last and take care of everyone else. So dispatching seemed like a perfect fit and it also gave me the time to on the side do what I love, rescuing.


This year I saved a dog from Death row in Indiana, and I took in a stray dog that was roaming around Stonebridge in probably the worst shape I've ever seen a dog and was able to rehabilitate them both and get them both adopted out into great families. Bella was on death row in Indiana and she was a puppy who they had no room for and because of how hot it was outside and this shelter they were just going to put her down so we hooked up with a rescue and took her in, like with all the dogs I meet I fell in love with her and when it was time to let her go to her forever home, my heart broke. 

Nash came into our lives not long after Bella and he was in real bad shape when we found him, covered in mud from head to tow and his ears were covered in fly and mosquito bites so badly the scabs prevented them from standing up straight like a shepherds' ears should. It took me an hour and a half to get all of the mud off of him and eventually he let me (as gross as it sounds) get the scabs off his ears and his hair on his ears grew back and he turned into this gorgeous dog. He broke my heart too  when he left but luckily I still see him. Nash's forever home is with a Chicago Fire fighter and his awesome wife who is an airline flight attendant and their 2 year old son Eli. As soon as Nash grows out of his car sick stage, he will be able to start riding on the engine with his dad and the other firemen just like the other firehouse dog does.


My year has been eventful to say the least; happy and sad. I gained employment but lost a relationship that meant a lot to me, I've saved both furry and human lives and unfortunately I've not been able to save some lives in situations. I hope that 25 is a good year for me, I hope bigger things happen for me then when I was 24. The upside is my car insurance goes down :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment