Saturday, May 9, 2015

A Letter To My Mom

When deciding what to get my mom for Mother's Day I came across a book called A Letter To My Mom. I saw the author on the Dr. Phil show and the book seemed exactly like a book my mom would love so I ordered her the book and decided to write her a letter myself. The basis of the book is people who have written letters to their mother's who are both alive and deceased, it is a tear jerker. The letter I wrote my mom is very personal, there are things in it I don't share with most people, I am showing my letter because I am proud of my struggle and the person I have become and I am thankful that I had my mom by my side through it all. Grab your tissues as there were lots of tears all around, as I wrote it, as she read it, and while watching her read it. Take a chance to say thank you to your mother for all that she has done whether you write it or say it, you never know when it could be your last chance. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.

Dear Mom,
    I want to thank you for the wonderful life you have given me. Growing up without Pete ever being around, I never felt like I was missing out on anything, thank you for being both mom and dad. I want you to know how proud I am of you for retiring this year after your twenty plus years of teaching. Throughout those years, you battled brain tumors, breast cancer and a hellish divorce; you are the strongest woman I know. I hope I can be even half the woman and mom you are someday. Thank you for moving on as best as you could after the divorce. I want to thank you for teaching me how to be a strong and independent woman and for pushing me to pursue my education.  Thank you for teaching me how important it is to be able to stand alone before standing with someone else. Thank you for paying for my college tuition so I don’t have any college loans hanging over my head. Thank you for not giving up on me that day when I told you that I didn’t want to live anymore.  Thank you for sacrificing your happiness for the sake of Jennifer and me ever since we were little. Thank you for saving me from countless unhappy and dangerous situations even when I fought you on them, I have learned that at times I may not see it but you truly do know what is best for me. Thank you for stopping Josh from continuing to abuse me when you found out what was going on; I truly don’t know if I ever would have been strong enough to get out of that relationship on my own. Thank you for all the times you grounded me or punished me when I was out of line so that I have become a well-rounded person with boundaries. Thank you for setting boundaries but letting me have enough freedom to be young and enjoy my life. Thank you for always helping me when I am in a bind. Thank you for dealing with my picky eating and always making me a second meal different than what you guys ate. Thank you for dealing with my quirks and nuisances.  Thank you for always being on my side and showing me right from wrong. Thank you for tucking me in every night and checking on me the silly amount of times I would ask you to.  Thank you for your countless words of wisdom, smartass remarks, snarky comebacks and wise advice on life, love and the pursuit of happiness you have given over the years. More than that thank you for continuing to give them regardless of if I listen or not.  Thank you for all the small and large things you have done for me over the 28 years I have been alive that I may not have said thank you for or seemed grateful for, I am truly lucky to call you my mom.  Thank you for being a fighter and a survivor and showing me what true strength is both emotionally and physically. Thank you for being my best friend, my role model, and my mom. I love you so much.
                                                Your favorite child,

                                                Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment